Wednesday 4 January 2017

New year update.

At the start of the year I have been very busy. My pepper grow is progressing and there are chilli plants all over the house. Most of my wild species have germinated and are thriving. 

Capsicum Rhomboideum                 Capsicum eximium

The other domesticated species are all doing well, except for a few of the overwinters which I think I cut back too heavily. This does not matter too much as I have more than enough plants.
Capsicum baccatum Aji omnicolor            Capsicum Chinense Habanero Hawaii Beach

 Capsicum frutescens Tobasco      Capsicum Pubescens Rocoto Mini

 Capsicum praetermissum Cumari pollux     Capsicum annuum Tepin



My first batch of pepper relatives is in the propagator. Solonum uporo, Solonum topiro and lycium chinense have all germinated already.

Coming up to its first birthday my marine aquarium is messy but healthy. There are too many fish and some of them are getting a bit large, I would remove them but it involves taking the rocks out because otherwise I will never catch them. this means its a massive job and I haven't got there yet. My colt coral has reacted well to its haircut so much so that I will have to take more off soon. I have yet to successfully stick any of the frags down but I have some hopes for the bit in the refugium at the moment.

Reef aquarium

My newest inhabitant is my short-spine urchin. It eats masses of algae which It scrapes of the rocks.  Some people are worried about the short-spine urchin as it can burrow into rock, indeed my one does scrape rocks very clean, like it scrapes of the top layer of rock as well. This does not really worry me because of the sheer amount of rock in the aquarium.
short spine urchin

That's all for now but I will be back with some more detailed updates soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment